WBPA Legislative Update: House Democrats Choose Leadership Team for 2021-2023
For your general information the House Democrats elected their leadership team that will serve for the next two years, beginning with the 2021 legislative session. Democrats remain the majority caucus in the state House of Representatives following the outcome of this year’s general election.
The House Democrats re-elected Pat Sullivan (D-47) as Majority Leader and Laurie Jinkins (D-27) as Speaker-designate. Jinkins will need a formal vote by the full House chamber to be named Speaker.
Lillian Ortiz-Self (D-21) was elected the Caucus Chair, stepping in for the longtime chair, retiring Eric Pettigrew (D-37). She is the only change from 2019-2020 in the House Dems leadership lineup. Ortiz-Self is the first Latina to hold this position in the State of Washington.
Monica Stonier (D-49) will remain as Majority Floor Leader. Marcus Riccelli (D-03) will be the Majority Whip. Tina Orwall (D-33) is the Speaker Pro Tem and John Lovick (D-44) will serve as Deputy Speaker Pro Tem. Orwall and Lovick will be affirmed during a full House vote in January.
Democrats remain the majority caucus in the state House of Representatives following the outcome of this year’s general election.
The 2021-23 House Democratic Caucus leadership team will be (partial list):
- Speaker of the House (designate*): Rep. Laurie Jinkins (D-Tacoma)
- Majority Leader: Rep. Pat Sullivan (D-Covington)
- Majority Caucus Chair: Rep. Lillian Ortiz-Self (D-Mukilteo)
- Majority Floor Leader: Rep. Monica Stonier (D-Vancouver)
- Majority Whip: Rep. Marcus Riccelli (D-Spokane)
- Speaker pro tempore (designate*): Rep. Tina Orwall (D-Des Moines, 2021), Rep. John Lovick (D-Mill Creek, 2022)
- Deputy Speaker pro tempore (designate*): Rep. John Lovick (D-Mill Creek, 2021), Rep. Tina Orwall (D-Des Moines, 2022)
*The full House of Representatives votes for Speaker of the House. This vote will occur when the 105-day legislative session convenes on January 11, 2021, hence the “designate” title at this time.